2 Jun – 16 Jul 2020
Arts and Place NOW was a series of free online conversations curated by the National Arts and Place Consortium that aimed to shine a light on exemplar projects amplifying the artists’ voice in placemaking and explore the future role of artists working in the public realm.
In the midst of a global pandemic, this series of live-streamed conversations aimed to shine a light on a range of exemplar projects focusing on artists working in place in different contexts, at different scales and together explore the future role of artists working in the public realm.
We aim to inspire and challenge as well as helping to build an online community to increase support amongst the sector during these uncertain times. This series is managed by Beam and supported by Art Fund.
Overview of series & links
The National Arts and Place Consortium (APC) emerged from the Farrell Review of Architecture and the Built Environment in 2014 and was adopted as a working group of the Place Alliance with a primary aim of championing the role of the arts and artists in placemaking. APC is Chaired by Professor Charles Quick, Director In Certain Places, Professor of Public Art Practice at UCLAN & Independent Artist, managed by Beam and supported by a range of artists and cultural & built environment professionals from across the UK.
APC has recently secured a grant from Art Fund to support the development of the network and engagement of the wider sector. To coincide with Coventry’s role as UK city of culture in 2021, The Arts and Place Consortium in collaboration with partners and the School of Art and Design at Coventry University will use part of this funding to encourage a cross-sector in debate about the future role of artists in the public realm in the aftermath of Covid 19.
Please note all talks were streamed live via Youtube with viewers encouraged to interact and ask questions via Youtube live chat.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH RECORDINGS OF ALL THE TALKS
- Rebecca Chesney in conversation with Helen Pheby, Head of Curatorial Programme, Yorkshire Sculpture Park (2.06.20)
- Sebastian Hicks in conversation with Cara Pickering, Project Manager, Coventry Modern (11.06.20)
- Mark Titchner in conversation with Sherry Dobbin, Partner, Future City (18.06.20)
- Diane Dever + Nils Norman in conversation with Lewis Biggs, Curator, Creative Folkestone Triennial 2021 (25.06.20)
- Carolyn Deby & Michael Pigott in conversation with Sabine Coady Schaebitz, Associate Professor, School of Art and Design, Coventry University (30.06.20)
- Katerina Seda in conversation with Charles Quick, Professor Public Art Practice, UCLAN + Co- Curator In Certain Places + Chair of Arts and Place Consortium (09.07.20)
- Ibrahim Mahama in conversation with Selom Kudjie, Artistic Director of SCCA Tamale (16.07.20)